Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pretty Boy BF

KAAYUSAN
AND ALL THAT K...RAP
If you’ve driven over EDSA in the last few months, you could not have missed the obscenely large tarpaulins with MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando and some supposedly wise advice to help make Metro Manila a better place to live in. On these, you would also have seen the letters “BF”, which I assume is some sort of logo for the man. Now, if you were to look closely, there is fine print on the tarps which say they are government property.

From there, I begin what I must say about these eyesores on our national highway. Why is the people’s money being spent on these things? As far as I know, having tarps made is not paid for with loose change. There are more decent things that money could have been used for. How many poor kids’ school tuition could that have subsidized?

Why is Chairman Fernando’s face on these tarps? I actually tried not to think that he spent the MMDA’s money on posters to hint loudly about his well known ambition to run for president. But what other reason could there be for his face being on them?

What’s with that pink glow around him on the poster? Why does he insist in throwing all this pink at us? He can bark to the high heavens all he wants that pink enhances your calm, but when a bus cuts in front of me while I’m driving, no amount of pink will keep me from going ballistic like John Spartan in “The Demolition Man”. I think the pink is his queer eye sense coming out, which is all fine and dandy as long as he keeps it to himself and not use our tax money to indulge in it.

Isn’t the MMDA charged with keeping the metropolis clean and making vehicular traffic flow smoothly? Last I checked, this agency is not exactly doing an excellent job with either of those tasks. So please tell me what is up with this atrocious display of arrogance from a man who is being paid with our tax money to show us a good example. Sure, I can appreciate good unsolicited advice, but what does this man’s face have to do with it? If he’s trying to shock Metro Manila drivers into being courteous and law-abiding, he’s got another thing coming, because each time, I wish I could swerve and drive as far away as possible so I wouldn’t have to see his face again. I’m sorry, but the man’s no Brad Pitt. If whoever thought of this campaign wanted attention getting value for the tarps, why not put some hot actor or model’s face on them? Hell, if it was Marian Rivera on them, I’d look forward to reading the advice, for the obvious reason, come on!

I’m sorry; I really now have nothing but disdain for this campaign that Mr. Fernando embarked upon. It’s something that he should have given a second, third, or even tenth thought before doing. I mean, I have nothing but respect for him with all that he accomplished in Marikina; especially after driving through that city last Good Friday. But if he wants to run for president, he could try doing it with some class, and most importantly, NOT USE GOVERNMENT MONEY to plaster his face everywhere.

One more thing that bothers me is that on the net I’ve only come across a few sites with entries about the tarps. No news website has anything about them? Has our society become that dense and pervasive that we take one look at something questionable done by the government and just tolerate it? But then, a couple of them underneath the EDSA-Buendia turning ramp were smeared with red paint right across the chairman’s face, which was quite amusing to say the very least. So someone did choose to voice a dissenting opinion in a not so subtle manner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Joshua! Nice blog you've got there, as well as title (your blog title reminds me of your days with the first 103.5 K-Lite as you must have hosted the first Talkback)...

Re: Bayani Flores Fernando -- he had my points (even despite the human rights violations he has amassed as MMDA chair) until this latest publicity stunt (the tarpos) which is truly as disgusting as robbery-murder in broad daylight. He even had the nerve in defending his actions in saying "Sila ba (those opposed to his tarpaulin posters) makakapagpatayo ng tarpaulin?" which really got into my nerves as I found it clearly condescending and insulting to the intelligence of us Pinoys. Shame on him; such atrocious action is already an express ticket to his loss in 2010, should he run.

Unknown said...

When someone finally has the political will to do what a public servant MUST do (teach our people some fking dicipline!), you criticize him of puting up tarps of himself on EDSA? what the hell??? Which one do you like better, one who does nothing and put up their faces all over the place or Bayani Fernando? Take you damn pick.

Joshua said...

Chino, thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I appreciate your time in reading.

Trust me, I laud Chairman Fernando for his efforts in trying to instill disciplines for Metro Manila residents, even if he ends up becoming controversial for them. But I just want to know, why is his face on those tarps? Do we need to see his face to learn discipline? I simply don't think so. He's obviously trying to get attention for a possible 2010 presidential bid. That's all. Let's face it, he himself still can't give us the reason why he put his face there. And c'mon, I thought he was aiming to beautify the Metro? Do you think his face is helping him accomplish that?

Extra weirdness for your not-so-weird-everyday-life